All of the Ways Menomonie Market Owners Can Get Involved
So, you’ve filled out our ownership application, paid for your ownership share, and have been given a shiny, new owner number that’s all yours… Now what? In addition to accessing all of the awesome financial benefits that help you trim your grocery bill, one of the best parts of becoming a Menomonie Market Food Co-op owner is that you now have the opportunity to get more involved in our community of local food-lovers. Here are a few ways you can do so:
1. Run for a seat on our board. This is the single biggest way you can make a difference at our co-op. Our board of directors oversees our general manager, monitors our organization’s performance, and helps to shape our long-term plans. If you run for a seat on our board and are elected by other owners, you get to be part of that important work firsthand.
2. Vote in our board elections. If running for a seat on our board isn’t in your wheelhouse, you can still have your voice heard by voting for the board candidates you feel would best represent your views. Board elections are held every fall with the poll opening at the end of August and closing at our Annual Owner Meeting in September, so watch for an announcement and cast your vote(s) then.
3. Attend monthly board meetings and our Annual Owner Meeting. If you want a front row seat to how our food co-op is run, consider attending our monthly board meetings and our Annual Owner Meeting that takes place every September, both of which are only open to owners. You can find a list of upcoming meeting dates on the bulletin board in our front lobby, in our newsletter, or on the calendar on our website.
4. Attend our community classes (or teach one yourself). In a normal year, we offer two full class terms—one in the spring and another in the fall—packed with cooking classes, wellness classes, and more with registration fees typically ranging from free to $35 each. Look for a complete list of upcoming classes online at MMFC.COOP/LEARN, or pick up a print class calendar in-store. Or if you’re knowledgeable about a particular subject and would like to teach a class yourself, you can also find an instructor application as well as our instructor policies at MMFC.COOP/TEACH.
5. Volunteer at a store or community event. We occasionally offer volunteer opportunities for owners in-store or at events! Watch for announcements about those via email or on social media.
6. Gift an ownership share to someone else. Did you know you can give an ownership share to a friend or relative? It’s true! To gift an ownership share to someone else, speak to a cashier in-store or visit MMFC.COOP/OWNERSHIP to fill out the application.
8. Share feedback, or just say hello. If you have feedback about our products, our events, or anything else or just want to say hello to our staff, feel free to email us or fill out a comment card in-store with feedback anytime. We’re always happy to hear it!
This article was originally published in the October/November 2020 issue of our bi-monthly newsletter, The Morsel. If you’d like to read more stories like this one and stay up to date on the latest co-op news and events, pick up a print copy in-store on your next grocery run or find more news on our website here.